So first I want to say, that I appreciate all the interest in our project from the folks who read our posts at Planet Debian. This will be our last post there for now, I hope you enjoyed the posts about my Google Summer of Code project and other info about Elektra we posted there. To stay informed about Elektra’s releases, please subscribe to this RSS feed. Today I want to thank you all and tell you about the latest exciting Elektra news, our newest release 0.8.10!
This new release brings many exciting updates and features, since I didn’t to a post for Elektra 0.8.9, this post will cover changes and additions from Elektra 0.8.8 to 0.8.10.
First of all, there is now a new gui for KDB! A big thanks goes out to Raffael Pancheri for developing this GUI! Once included in your Elektra build, this gui can be run using the command
kdb qt-gui. It is very important to note that the gui is in version 0.0.2, meaning it is an alpha project and shouldn’t be considered stable yet! This GUI is a convenient tool that lets you mount, unmount, search, import and export configurations. We are very excited about this tool and we hope it makes Elektra more accessible to all users. Check out the screenshot below to see this new GUI in action:
A few other new features are that Felix added support for multi-line into the ini plugin. Users are able to turn this feature on or off for each configuration. Additionally, Kai-Uwe added support for Windows 7 to Elektra! The Windows 7 port relies on a new resolver called
wresolver which is a simpler version of the regular resolver which is compatible with Windows. Additionally, there is a new Java binding, so now Elektra is compatible with applications and plugins written in Java! On top of these features, a new
hosts plugin and a new
rename plugin have been written. The new
hosts in conjunction with improvements to the ini plugin allows for multiple styles of comments (because some ini dialects allow
# to be used to differentiate comments) to be used and preserved in configuration files. Additionally, this new
hosts plugin is compatible with and differentiates between ipv4 and ipv6 entries.
There have also been a huge number of under-the-hood improvements, changes, and fixes; there have been so many in-fact that I am going to list them:
- The CMake variables regarding SWIG bindings are now abandoned in favor to the new variable BINDINGS that works like PLUGINS and TOOLS.
- A proof of concept storage plugin
- A new race detection tool was added that will help us improve the resolver.
- Most plugins use the CMake
add_pluginfunction which allows plugin developers to more easily and consistently add plugins when building Elektra.
- Elektra is now fully XDG 0.8 complaint.
- Elektra also now meets OpenICC Draft specifications and we added a new tool,
- A new command was added,
kdb list-toolswhich lists the available kdb tools.
- The DPLUGINS flag for CMake now allows you to exempt a plugin from a build using the
-prefix such as
DPLUGINS=ALL;-xmltool"which would exclude
There are many more new changes that I could not mention here. Please keep up-to-date with Elektra news and releases by subscribing to this RSS feed and following our news page on GitHub. As always feel free to comment on our posts and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Again, thanks for reading our blog, enjoy the new release!
Ian S. Donnelly
P.S. Happy New Year to everybody!